Friday, January 12, 2007

Spinning Group

I attended my first ever local spinning group meeting yesterday! I honestly didn't know we had a local group until I demonstrated spinning at the Pioneer Museum this summer and was invited by the other spinner who was demonstrating that day. The meetings are always held on the second Thursday of the month but between working nights and sleeping during the day, I had never been free to go to one. I was so pleasantly surprised yesterday when I walked into the studio at the MacNider museum! There were 7 ladies in attendance that day and most of them were mainly weavers who also spun and there was some knitting talk. I had been told that part of every meeting was a monthly show and tell so I brought along my skein of soysilk yarn I had spun on my drop spindle. One of the ladies had brought several placemat-sized pieces of overshot weaving that she had been tweaking patterns with. She gave them away to the group because she was "clearing out her clutter" and she gave me two beautiful pieces! The top piece in the photo is an overshot pattern and the piece on the bottom (my Pirate hat is sitting on it in another picture) is a jacquard (I think!). I am very enthusiastic about this group and will have to arrange my work schedule around the meetings! I have two sets of wooden card weaving cards that I have never yet used and there was talk of a card weaving demonstration for one of the meetings. I have ALWAYS wanted to learn to weave on a multi draft loom (one lady brought in different cotton towels she had woven on her table loom and they were bee-YEWtiful!), and they were even discussing a Kumihimo Japanese braid demonstration for one of the meetings! I had to run errands after the meeting but I left the museum absolutely foaming at the mouth and all I wanted to do was to just "get to some yarn"! Sitting in that meeting was kind of like going to the grocery store hungry because I just wanted to start a hundred new projects!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.