Friday, January 12, 2007

Pirate Hat



I knit a We Call Them Pirates hat for my niece while riding a bus around eastern Europe this summer and gave it to her as a Christmas gift (I must admit, I was making the hat for myself but it was far too small). My high school-aged nephew liked it and asked if I would make him one also, and I think my brother wants one now too. This is also my first finished object of 2007 and I hope to crank out all kinds of stuff this year. A note about this pattern: it calls for sport weight yarn (I used Brown Sheep sport weight for my niece's hat which was too small for an adult) and size 3 needles--however, for the adult sized hat, I used Lion Brand Wool (worsted weight) and size 5 needles and was quite pleased with the results. The pattern also calls for you to monkey around with knitting a lining, but that was far too much work. I started by knitting 10 or so rows of stockinette, then one purl row, and THEN began the charted work. This gave me a good inch to fold and tack up inside the hat for a cleaner edge.

No comments: