Sunday, April 01, 2007

Perdita-WIP

I surprise myself from time to time. I have all kinds of tins and boxes and bags and pouches that hold unfinished projects or raw materials for designated projects all over my house. They are not ordinary containers either. They are fabulous, glorious, decorative, and personal vessels to contain said items. I have begun work on a pair of Perdita wristwarmers using beads salvaged from what I think might be the crown of my late grandma's disintegrating bridal veil. I've had the floss and some ho-hum store bought beads for this project for some time now, but I was struck with inspiration when I came across this veil and began a pair. I was walking through my living room when I noticed the work on the needles laid across it's home (the tin) and thought, "What a great picture that would make!" The work matches Elizabeth's dress perfectly! And how fitting since the first pair will go to my mother who is another great Elizabeth! I bought that tin for a quarter at the Cancer Garage sale this year and absolutely fell in LOVE with it! It's a souvenir biscuit tin from ERII's coronation on June 2, 1953. I love how you can see thistles, shamrocks, and Tudor roses all over it!

2 comments:

Bitten said...

What a great idea! A perfect way to remember your grandmother and provide you with a sense of accomplishment connection with the past.

Stacy said...

It is fun to see all of your creative ideas! Stacy