Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Ta-Da!!!


I found this recipe a long time ago over on Not Martha and have scrounged and hoarded up ingredients for a while...only to have them sit in a bowl under my bathroom sink for almost a year. I have recently discovered the utter delight that are bath bombs, or Bath Ballistics as they are known over at Lush. I have ordered and enjoyed some lovely Ballistics from the good people at Lush, but they are an indulgence that can be enjoyed only occasionally due to the price (they TRULY are worth every penny though!) So I got to thinking about the bath bomb ingredients I had stashed away after reading the ingredients label on a Lush Ballistic and decided to fool around with it early this morning when I could no longer sleep. It really is a simple recipe and the trick is to not moisten the citric acid/baking powder mixture or it will begin to fizz in the bowl (even the two drops of food coloring that I deliberately placed ON TOP of the puddle of oil, so as not to apply it directly to the dry mixture, sunk below the oil and fizzed a little!). It is a lot like making pastry dough because the only binding agent is the fragrance and almond oil. You fluff it around in the bowl until it gets crumbly and then mold them together with a christmas ornament mold. I got 4 1/2 bombs out of the recipe and let them dry while I went to lunch with a girlfriend. The recipe said they needed to dry for at least a day before they'd be ready. I carefully put one in a plastic bowl for my girlfriend, and by the time we came back out to the car, it seemed dry and firm. Well I couldn't wait to try it out so I took a bath with the 1/2 bomb runt and I couldn't believe how much it fizzed! I used some Orange Lily scented fragrance oil that I got at Target's Dollarspot and it was quite nice. I had also bought some cherry scented at the same time, but once opened it smelled like cherry NyQuil so I threw that one out. I bought some soap scents at Hobby Lobby for fooling around with different batches, OR I thought I could just bypass adding almond oil AND scented oil and just use scented bath oil. Then there are all the add in possibilities: rose petals, glitter, lavender buds...do I hear frilly stocking stuffers and gifts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your blog! Christmas tree star ornaments These ornaments are Presented in a handsome velvet drawstring bag. Please visit Christmas tree star ornaments