Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving!


Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I am shamefully overdue in posting, so I am going to do one big mish mash post of everything. My grandmother from Fargo came and stayed with us towards the first of the month. She toured between my parents' and siblings' houses and saw all of us and the new baby. I brought home a jar of double cream for her and my mother to enjoy. I have tried a number of times to recreate this culinary delight in my kitchen and I have come up with an adequate substitute, but nothing beats the imported $7/jar real deal! Here it is pictured with Christmas Scones that Grandma, Mother, and I enjoyed in the afternoon with coffee (of course!).








Melissa is becoming a force to be reckoned with in the domestic department! I went to her house two weeks ago for knitting party and to fool around with lemon meringue pie. Now I can make rhubarb pie and pastry crust like nobody's business, but I can honestly say I'd never made NOR eaten lemon meringue pie before. Her dad and brother just love this kind of pie and she wanted to make a 'from scratch' version for Thanksgiving (and did I mention that she has 25 people staying the night in her apartment?!) We found a decent sounding recipe on epicurious, Melissa went grocery shopping, and we managed to produce a tasty and delicious dessert! The lemon filling is really nothing more than a cooked cornstarch/eggyolk/lemon juice pudding. The pie itself is a baked shell filled with the cooled lemon mixture, topped with the meringue, and baked until set although we torched it a bit afterwards with my kitchen torch. I have made dry meringue cookies before, but this meringue was very moist so I can see why you would not want to serve it to young kids or elderly guests (unless of course you use pasteurised eggs). I was very impressed with the way it turned out, and this was only a practice run! I think Melissa is baking the real ones AS I TYPE THIS! Cheer her on! Those little quiches were the practice runs of handling and crimping pastry dough, and they were a mighty tasty teaching tool!


Here is the latest in my seasonal line of scrubs! Actually it is just my new Thanksgiving Tom Turkey scrub that I finished the day before yesterday! Hot off the sewing machine and worn to work in the same day! I bought this fabric back in July on one of my final trips to Waterloo before Melissa's wedding. I made her a scrub out of the same fabric and she wore hers last night. I liked this scrub so well that it is in the washer as we speak and I will wear it again tonight for my shift! Maybe it will brighten things up for the people unlucky enough to be in the hospital over the holidays!
And I did some baking last night...oh wait, wrong picture! Actually I made two more batches of bath bombs last night. I had purchased all of the citric acid IN TOWN to make those! Pictured on the right are scented glycerin soaps that I molded for my girlfriend gifts this year. And once again the month is winding to a close and I have too many things to do and not enough time to complete them. It really is a pity that I have to sleep! Speaking of which, I had better get my nap in before I start getting ready for work tonight.

Happy Thanksgiving To You and Yours!


No comments: