Monday, September 18, 2006

Stromboli



My good friend and coworker hosted a campfire/get-together/slumber party for our crew. It was kind of an informal potluck and we were planning on camping in tents in the backyard since this was likely to be our last warm weather for the year. We WERE able to enjoy the campfire...until the sky tore open like a gaping wound and pelted us with a thunderstorm and we moved the party indoors. My friend brought a crockpot full of potato soup along and I baked stromboli to go with it. I found this recipe years ago in a magazine and it was called, "Stromboli For A Crowd," which is false because I believe it could, in fact, feed a small army. The recipe called for frozen bread dough but I just make the dough from scratch. You need two loaves worth of dough (whichever you plan to use), roll out each loaf into an 18 x 12 inch rectangle, sprinkle with garlic powder and then top with sliced ham, mozzarella cheese and parsley. You don't want to pack it too full, but you want enough to munch on though too (this technique is known as the 'dump method'). You can use pastrami, pepperoni, prosciutto, etc. but I always just use sliced ham. You roll up the dough, crimp the edges, brush with an egg wash (I always beat together an egg and a tablespoon of water), make a few slashes for the steam to escape, and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or so. It's a good food to pack for a "little lunch" as we say in the midwest. Bring your thermos with coffee or some koolaid and you're set!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Katie T!
You are so awesome, I was looking in my history and came across your blog site. What great pictures and creations. You are very talented. Thanks for the "good friend" part on your site. The stromboli was good too, Dan ate the rest of what was here left over, and the cinn. rolls got dispersed throughout the group however, I got my share too, they were soft and moist and perfect, Tina enjoyed them too. I did forget to put some of it that I had bagged up for Kevin W, but forgot to put in his arms, so Dan and I ate it. Your new niece is precious, booties are cute too, nice boarder on them... You will have to remember to tell me her name... Not done reading, just saw a spot for comments, I do have a find from a garage sale to show you too. I need to get your stuff back to you too, call me. Wow Katie T, this is awesome!
DD