Sunday, May 24, 2015

Thank you Cheryl!

 When I still worked cardiac step-down in Iowa, one of my favorite people to work with was Cheryl Conner.  She was a kindred spirit as far as cooking because she actually cooked and made things from scratch.  She went so far as to eat organic, which I haven't managed to do yet, and was also a gardener and continues to be one of my inspirations for our own home garden. 
Like every home gardener, she had an abundance of cherry tomatoes one summer and brought appetizer tomatoes of her own creation to a work potluck.  She described how she made them and wrote down the recipe for me but alas, I lost it.  I have been enjoying some lovely on the vine "cocktail tomatoes" from Aldi lately and decided I would wing it from memory and try making some.  We had my husband's parents over for supper and cards last night and I wanted to serve them.  My in-laws are fabulous gardeners so I knew they would appreciate them.

Also of note, pictured is the beautiful olive dish I bought in Greece when I backpacked in 2001.  I saw it in the window of a shop I walked past every day while in Athens and thought it was just beautiful.  I bought it, packed it carefully with plastic shopping bags I'd accumulated and saved along the way, held my breath and shipped it.  Thankfully it arrived home intact and I've treasured it ever since.  Last night was the first night I'd ever used it so I was quite tickled.  It had also been stored, packed carefully in a box, since I bought it until we got the china cabinet last year.  I love being able to see it displayed in the hutch every day.
Here it is holding some of those delicious tomatoes.  Like I said, I winged the recipe and they were delicious.  My mother in law asked to take home a few of the leftovers which made my day.  Slice off the top of the tomatoes and use a melon baller to hollow out the fruit.  Salt the insides of the tomato "cups".  In a bowl, mash together some softened cream cheese, cooked crumbled bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, garlic powder, minced chives, and a dash of sour cream to thin the mixture.  Spoon into the tomato cups and garnish with more chives.  Dee-LISH!  The only no-no is to not refrigerate them if possible because tomato flesh becomes grainy when chilled.  My advice is to make up the filling ahead of time and scoop and fill them at the last minute.  Also, they taste much better when served on a delightful dish!  ;)  As usual, the men were more interested in the meat, but my mother in law raved about them.  Not only are they gardeners, but tomatoes are their specialty and I know she will be making these herself!

No comments: