Friday, May 22, 2015

Bit of blue

 So here is the Fiddlehead Pullover I was finishing up this week.  I have to say I wasn't overwhelmed by this project in part because of the yarn.  It is a lovely tweedy/slubby fingering weight yarn but I'm not convinced it was the best choice for this particular pattern.
 The sweater is decorated with mock cables which kind of get lost in the yarn.  I wouldn't mind knitting this again but next time I'll use something with better stitch definition.  I had 3 skeins (about 570 meters) and knit the smaller sized sweater and even then I thought I was cutting it a bit fine but I have a full skein and a bit left over!  Still I can't complain because it was free fair yarn.  I can knit quite a few pairs of baby boy booties and hats with the leftovers.
 I love how it is designed and pieced like a fisherman's gansey.  Here are the button closures at the back.
 I had to take pictures of the stash I got at the fiber festival!  That small pouch is made from fish skin leather from Fiskurs Leather.  I am going to use it either in my knitting bag or to hold rosary beads.  That particular pouch was salmon skin and you can tell the species by the size and shape of the scales.  The 2 tweedy skeins were from E2's Emu Ranch and were lovely shades of blues and greens.  The yarn itself is quite coarse but I want to make a cozy for my French coffee press so it will hold up well.  I just love the colors to go in my kitchen.  I got 2 bags of rovings from my sister's aunt-in-law's booth-Diamond D Sheep.  One is an Icelandic wool and the other is Shetland.  Such beautiful fiber and an awesome price for it.  Of course I have NO IDEA what I'm going to use it for yet!  And finally I bought a skein of sock yarn from The Cyborg's Craft Room.  They had all kinds of yarns with glitz or metallics in them but I opted for the plain sock yarn in those fabulous shades of blue.
And Joy of Joys...I am about to embark on a new project using up some major stash.  I've had this quantity of Patons Silk Bamboo for some time.  Honestly I did have a project in mind for it when I bought it, but I was encouraged to buy it in quantity because I got a free bag when you bought so many.  I've said it before, I'll do anything for a free gift.  I think I've made it abundantly clear that blue is my favorite color!

No comments: