Monday, May 18, 2015

Fiber Festival

My sister and her kids stayed with us so we could all attend the Shepherd's Harvest Festival this weekend.  I happened to be reading through my blog list last week and realized the festival was coming.  I've known about it for 3 years but we were always in Reno when it was going on.
 The festival is held at the wonderful Washington County Fairgrounds in Lake Elmo every year.  All three exhibit buildings were full of vendors, demonstrators and competitions.  There was food vending and picnic areas and hands-on activities in the different barns.
 The place was packed.  I couldn't believe how busy it was.  There were plenty of things for the kids to look at and touch and see but we had to keep the pace up to avoid meltdowns.  We whipped through the buildings which is fine because it kept my spending in check, but I wouldn't mind going to this alone next year!
 We watched a stock dog demonstration which was one of my favorite things.  They explained the different whistle and verbal commands and I laughed out loud when he said that the call off command or stop command is, "That'll do."  :)
 Saw all kinds of fiber animals up close including these llamas in varying haircuts.
 Angora rabbits.
And of course lots of sheep!  We visited with Lisa's aunt-in-law and my sister-in-law's neighbors who were both vendors.  We had such a good time and I hope we can go again next year!

That evening, Dave and John put up the ceiling fan in the dining room.  I luuuurrrvvveee it!  It was kind of  a production to get it up on that vaulted ceiling but it looks (and feels!) great.
My favorite part was putting these Polish pottery beads on the ends of the pull chains!  Mom and I went to Menard's and got some plants so I got the garden in before the storms and she helped me install an under the cupboard radio/cd player/bluetooth so now I can listen to NPR in my kitchen!

No comments: