Thursday, February 19, 2015

Ax-Man!

 We also took Melissa to Ax-man Surplus on University while she was here.  I just don't quite know how to describe this store!

 I can remember coming here as a kid on the way to the Europe Reunion when it was more of a bona fide military surplus store.  Now it is a much funkier hardware/junk store.  This place reminds me of my dorm room in college because we had signs and pictures and garland and all manner of crap hanging from the ceiling and walls.  I say all the time that I like BUSY.  This store certainly is BUSY.
So far I've purchased paint brushes, a variety of scissors, empty bottles and jars, all kinds of lab glassware, plastic bags, patterned duct and packing tape, shipping envelopes, magnetic clips, pleather, silver plated pickle forks, self adhesive fake mustaches, measuring tapes, craft wire, gift bags, etc.  Even though I find all kinds of things that I think are useful, there is still plenty of junk to be purchased here.  You can get all kinds of electrical components, old VCR's, gauges, obsolete electrical items, etc.  We brought my dad here last month and he could appreciate this store.  Whenever we'd go to Fargo as kids, we'd always go to Mac's for an afternoon activity.  Mac's was on about the same plane as this store but not nearly as funky, at least as far as I can remember.
 Half the fun of this store is just wandering around looking at everything!  You find all kinds of things you never knew you couldn't live without.  For example, I paid 95 cents for a Stress Kitty.  It is a cute little stuffed cat toy....and when you feel stressed you can rip it's head off because it is velcroed on.  I thought that was hilarious.  They also have all kinds of gag/kid stuff like switchblade combs (remember those?) and whoopie cushions.  The only caveat is that Dave has to drive us because I'm too nervous to drive downtown.  Maybe someday I'll be confident enough to do it which will be good for him because after one trip, he'd seen enough.  He is such a good sport though!

No comments: