Monday, April 25, 2011

Mukluks!

This is my lovely sister-in-law Amy's feet modeling the Mukluk's I knit for my dear friend Deedee's birthday. Amy was the only one with feet similar to Deedee's! This was a really fun and surprisingly quick project. These were knit with Malabrigo 2-ply worsted weight yarn on 2 straight needles. I've been a double pointed needle in-the-round sock knitter ever since I went through LPN school and was too poor to buy Christmas gifts and instead knit thick socks for everyone stuffed with little cheap trinkets. This project originated from some suede and fake fur-lined pre-punched slipper soles made by the Boye company that I got on clearance at Jo-Ann's fabrics. I have since seen these same things at Hobby Lobby and Fiber Trends also makes suede pre-punched soles without the fake fur lining (but I have some on-their-own wool sole inserts I bought in Ireland years ago that I knew I would use someday but at the time I didn't know exactly what for!) I have a leather punch and 2 brown paper sacks full of leather dear skin from my Grandpa Maynerd and these soles would be very easy to construct from scratch and much more sentimental for family members. And the nice thing about making the soles from scratch would be that the knitting would wear out far sooner than the soles so as they wore out, I could repurpose and knit new socks as needed and re-use the soles! The Boye company soles came with a pattern and I have to say it was the strangest thing to knit a sock on 2 needles without a sole! Of course the sole is the leather piece but it really took some thinking to knit a sock in one flat piece and then seam it up the side and sew it to the sole! I was very pleased with the results!

No comments: