Thursday, April 21, 2011

I lied.

I WILL be making one more big batch of these cookies. I'd forgotten all about my cousin Stacy who overcame a benign but menacing brain tumor this last month. She and her family are from Moorhead, MN and survived a real-live brain attack. She was literally struck down by paralyzing headaches, diagnosed and then life flown to Rochester with a pituitary tumor and endured a palliative brain tumor biopsy. She is also pregnant (FINALLY!!!) with their second child and was a REAL TROOPER throughout the entire ordeal. Now the big plan is for a cesarean section birth in November and when recovered from that, will undergo another brain surgery to remove the remainder of the tumor. I have to say that my sister and her family were invaluable too because they hosted Stacy's husband, daughter, dog, parents, siblings and etc. I am a rotten cousin and worked throughout the hospitalization but I mean to send them some sinful goodies. Stacy is a faithful member of Curves and I am sure my treats will do nothing for her lifestyle habits. Back in the day, if you were Norwegian and recently very ill or had just had a baby, the tradition was to bring the invalid a vat full of Rommegrot to promote healing. Unfortunately, rommegrot is made of heavy cream soured on the stove with flour and butter and then sweetened with sugar and cinnamon. This mixture is not exactly mail-safe so I will instead be sending them a package of cookies. John's birthday is also approaching and I'll send him a package as well. I took this picture the night before last as I was baking and Dad gave me the lovely copper bunny cookie cutter used to cut these. I have to put a plug in for the new Harry Potter installment I enjoyed as I frosted cookies. And last night, I brought cookie offerings to 2 different gals at work who saved my Duluth getaway. One gal jumped in the last minute without being asked and offered to assume my Sunday shift and the other gal is in charge of scheduling and put up with my late night and then early morning phone calls to make sure it was alright to make the trade. The gal who traded with me surprised me by asking if she could BUY a dozen cookies to hand out to her nieces and nephews for Easter!

No comments: