Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Phun With Phyllo

I've had this pastry dough in my freezer for almost a year and was finally inspired to get it out and experiment with it. I brushed and layered 4 sheets together with melted butter and then cut the sheets lengthwise down the middle. Then I put 1/3 cup of chopped apple-brown sugar-apple pie spice mixture onto one corner and folded the whole thing up like a flag. Brush with melted butter and bake at 375 for 15 minutes. These were buttery and flaky and so surprisingly easy! I've seen it called Fillo or Phyllo dough and it is found in a grocer's freezer and all you have to do to is thaw it in your fridge for 24 hours before using. 10 years ago in Greece I ate 2 pastries similar to this but they were filled with feta cheese and dill. Num Num. Spanikopita is a popular Greek spinach and feta filled pastry. Just think of all the different fruit/sweet fillings you could use too!

No comments: