Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Yarn Harbor

I am the luckiest girl EVER because I have a fella who is so tolerant of my yarn habit! Before we left town, Dave drove me to The Yarn Harbor located at 103 Mount Royal Shopping Circle. It is kind of a funny location in the middle of a small strip mall. There was a section on the large sign outside the mall and you drive around the building and park and walk into the mall and this is the door that greets you. It was WELL worth the trip though as you will see!
This is the wall of Cascade! :) This will make any knitter smile! Look at that palette of worsted weight yarn! Just to the left of this section was a nook full of locally produced and spun alpaca and wool yarn and I came away with 2 skeins of sport weight that will either be socks or baby/baptismal items.
They had a very good selection of Kauni yarn pictured here on the left and on the right is Noro. Noro makes me happy but I was SO PLEASED to see Kauni! The knitting world is waking up to this wonderful brand!
Along the far wall in this pictures is Lopi and the stacks in the foreground are all baby weight yarns. Just to the left and out of frame is the very large knitting group that had gathered at the store on this fine Saturday morning.
THIS is the section of the store devoted to several weights of Jamieson and Smith yarn! Take note in these pictures of all the individual patterns in plastic sleeves hanging off the shelves and the coordinating pattern books on display. This was an AWESOME yarn shop and their selection of patterns/books/booklets was top notch.
This center stack was full of Brown Sheep's Lamb's Pride in both worsted and bulky. Patterns everywhere!
Here we have all the Dale of Norway lines and weights. The gal working was very friendly and helpful and gave me a lay of the land when I first came in and made more recommendations of shops in the Twin Cities area. She had asked where I was from and what were my local yarn shops and I told her we really didn't have any decent shops in my area. I complimented her on her shop and selection and especially on the selection of Kauni and Jamieson and Smith and told her that it had been easier to TRAVEL to Estonia and Shetland to get those brands of yarn! She said they will happily fill and ship phone orders and encouraged me to check in regularly on their website which includes a blog.

I give Dave all kinds of credit for taxiing me to my yarn dealers but he did sit this one out and read the paper out on a bench in the hallway. He asked me if I liked this shop better than The Yarnery in St. Paul and I told him I loved it but asking me that is similar to asking me which of my children I love the best. ;) He understood the analogy! I promptly called my mother and told her that she and dad need to make plans to come to Duluth for a weekend in such a locale and more importantly...for the YARN! :)

No comments: