Sunday, September 16, 2007

Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!



We've had a bit of fall weather here! Yippeeeeee! :) The last two nights have seen actual FROST! I am overjoyed of course because this is the time of year that I get to start wearing all the cold weather accessories I knit! I finished a Calorimetry headband a few months back but only last night finally wove the ends in and sewed on a button. This was knit from some of my own hand spun soy silk yarn that I bought as a roving off of eBay. I have a lot left over and eventually would like to knit a pair of gloves out of it. That will be a challenge as I've never yet knit GLOVES. This headband/scarf is ideal for me because I walk to work and wear my hair in a similar rat nest arrangement, so I hate to wear a hat for my commute. I usually wear a scarf as well, but it doesn't quite cover my ears. I am terrible during the summer because I DRIVE (with our heat I am disgusting and sweaty by the time I arrive) whereas in the winter I LOVE the walk. An added plus in winter? By the time everyone has their cars warmed UP, I am usually IN BED! :)

This week I also finished a second pair of socks for my friend in Iraq. These are no frills hunting socks knit from a worsted weight machine-washable 100% wool (Cascade 220). I must say they are quite cozy. I have mixed feelings about the Cascade 220 though. It IS an affordable 100% wool yarn, lots of colors available, machine washable, all those good things, etc. I don't know how it will pill down the line, but I just think it could be a bit softer. However, I DO know these will be worn with hunting boots so maybe the toughness will be a plus in the long run. In any case, it was nice to knit up a pair of these again.

No comments: