Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Must. Keep. Knitting.

I recently did some more Niece Knitting. I finished this little sweater from a pattern found in the book Simple Knits For Cherished Babies. I used some DK-ish weight yarn that I've had for some time. It isn't exactly illegal to knit baby things in colors that are not pastels, but I still felt a bit funny doing it. It is finished in abalone shell buttons. I quite like this pattern and have made 3 or 4 of these.



I also chose this hat from the "Bouncing Baby Set" pattern found in the book Homespun, Handknit. It did use up all the yarn (I just this morning used up the remaining lengths to make the tassel and cords!). I fooled around with the gauge as much as I could, but it is still far too big for any baby to wear together with that sweater, unless that baby's body is wildly misproportionate! I will try it out on my older niece and if it is too small for her, I have a lovely baby cousin who might fit into it! I was sure to wave at everyone who drove by and saw a crazy woman putting a hat on a tree!


And yes, ok, I did some selfish knitting. I am all for being seasonal and my workscrubs AND my scarves shall reflect the time of year. The black scarf with the orange/yellow/red specks is Lion Brand "Fancy Fur" that is normally $6.00/ball for 89 or so yards, but I got it at Big Lots for $2.00/ball while I was up visiting my sister. SCORE! The blue (I'm thinking wintery/January) and the Fall (obviously) colorways were knit from the yarn I bought at the Mohair Goat Farm while I was up visiting my brother. I enjoy knitting scarves every now and again because they are pretty mindless and is a socially acceptable way to literally wrap yourself in yarn (rolling around in it tends to draw some funny looks). I also finished a sock but I won't take pictures of it until I finish its mate. I want to try to finish another full pair since it IS Socktober this month!

No comments: