Monday, November 09, 2015

Silver Service

On our last outing to Saver's, I picked up this beautiful silver tray for $8!  It was tarnished but not pitted and had a few light scratches but overall, it was in very good shape.  I polished it up and am so pleased with it.  My mother has one just like this and I saw it every day gleaming in her china cabinet.  She also has a full silver coffee service set that would come out at Christmas and luncheons and receptions.  They were wedding gifts and she can tell you who got her each piece.  When I was a kid, it was my regular task to polish the silver and now that job falls to my nieces.  I can't get this into my hutch so I will have to find a home for it.  It is so pretty that I wouldn't mind it sitting out on the hutch counter where I can see it every day.
And yes, I'm a nerd and had to put my teapot and some Polish pottery on it.  I got the teacups and saucers in Poland, the sugar bowl is from ebay, the cobalt creamer was made by a potter in York, the teapot came from Vermontcountrystore.com and the Polish creamer was acquired in Iceland.  Quite an international tea service!  Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to have a dorky tea party with myself!  I loved the movie Saving Mr. Banks and one of my favorite movie lines ever came from that film:  Tea is like balm for the soul.

No comments: