Sunday, June 14, 2015

Veggies--but not from our garden...

I started working on our garden in the beginning of May.  Dave turned it all up for me and we were able to plant peas and green beans early.  We bought tomato, eggplant, butternut squash and pepper plants and put them in shortly after.  Then Dave's parent's sent over a bunch of kohlrabi and cucumber seedlings.  We started zucchini and spaghetti squash from seed and just got those in the ground this week.  We're trying the tomatoes and all the vine veggies in a different area of the yard so we can use the garden proper for the peas, beans, kohlrabi, peppers and eggplant.  We also have a raspberry bush on the garden fencing. 

Everything is looking so much more promising than last year!  I have turned into my dad because I find myself daily wandering around in the yard just looking at the garden progress.  He did that every day when he came home from work.  We'd hear the van pull into the garage and it was always a good 15 minutes before he actually came into the house because he was out looking at the garden.  This morning I was out first thing with Lopi and this frog scared the bejesus out of me!  I didn't really see him but I saw something moving at my feet!
While I was snooping around the garden, Lopi started barking and pawing at this poor turtle.  This is the first one we've seen in the yard this year. 
Dave went fishing this afternoon and I had supper waiting for him when he got home.  I had 2 store-bought zucchinis that I peeled, hollowed, brushed with garlic olive oil and salted before folding them up in foil with some rosemary cuttings.
I'd been marinating some chicken thighs all afternoon.  We skewered them up with mushrooms, onions and red peppers.  Any more I always buy chicken thighs because they are cheaper and are more moist and flavorful.  We got this recipe from the honey stand at the state fair.  The marinade is 1/2 c. oil, 1/3 c. honey, 1/3 c. soy sauce, 2 crushed garlic cloves and black pepper. 
I  got very lucky with my husband because he knows how to grill.  There is nothing like grilled veggies and meat.
My sister and her family are coming next weekend so we can all go to the water park at Valley Fair.  I put together 32 little apple hand pies using apple slices I had in my freezer.  They came from my sister in law's acreage and my mother in law sliced, vacuum sealed and froze them.  I made 2 little cobblers out of the remainder of the apples and the scraps of the pastry.
Num num!

No comments: