Saturday, January 24, 2015

Crocus Progress

It is Saturday morning and I'm baking for my night shift tonight.  I love baking treats to bring but I'm always a little down too because it means I won't get to go near my knitting for the next 3 days or so.  Especially this knitting!  This is my Crocus Blanket I'm knitting for our eventual baby stash out of some bee-YEW-tiful merino/silk/cashmere yarn I got on clearance from WEBS.  It is a soft yellow yarn with subtle pale mustard mottles.  The photo doesn't do it justice.  It is a fingering weight single and has been a pleasure to work with.  I can't say as much about the pattern...

I started it and did the 16 rows of garter stitch and then had to rip the whole thing out after the first two rows of the lace pattern.  As I sat there, swearing through my tears, I got to thinking that I don't think I've ever tackled lace before (other than feather and fan) and then I didn't feel quite so bad.  Those first two rows were the worst too because you're setting up the pattern there's nothing to guide you.  I set markers between the repeats and meticulously counted my stitches after each repeat to make sure I was still on track and thank goodness the wrong side is just knits and purls.  My mother looked at this and said, "You know Katie, this really isn't that difficult of a pattern."  Way to kick me when I'm down Mom!  ;)  She makes a good point that some laces are patterned on both sides.  Yikes!  I've been a brat the last 2 weeks and took 4 on call shifts so I could obsessively work on this and so far have 3 out of 10 repeats done.  This is personal.  I will not let this lace defeat me!

No comments: