Tuesday, November 26, 2013

All done!!!

 I finished it yesterday, gave it a soak and it is currently blocking on the floor of my sewing room with a fan pointed at it.  I want to wear it on Thursday to my in-laws for Thanksgiving.  Technically this would have been done a week earlier because I finished the first sleeve and didn't like the fit so I ripped it out and started over.  This is a terrible photo but I was just so excited to post a finished picture.  I keep opening the door and just looking at it.  Maybe I'll put a little space heater in there to speed up the drying...
 I've had these buttons in mind for it all along.  These are fabulous juniper wood buttons I bought at the harbor market in Helsinki.  Note the small bag in the picture.  For some reason all over Europe, they put everything in these little paper bags.  Postcards.  Buns from the bakery.  Small shopping items.  I love them and I SAVE them.  These buttons have been in there since I bought them and the paper is actually stained from the oils in the wood and smells wonderful.  I can't wait to finish off the sweater by sewing on the buttons.
 My brother gave us a bunch of beef for our new freezer and I thawed and made these short ribs.  I'd never worked with short ribs before but I used this recipe and they were quite easy. 

 Here they are sauced before the oven.  I love how all the ingredients are things you already have in your cupboard and nothing special was needed.  I cooked them in my blue enameled cast iron braiser Dave gave me for Christmas last year.
Here they are 300 degrees and 3 hours later.  Num num.  We will be making these again.  And of course it is deceiving how little meat is actually there once it shrinks up and exposes the bone.  I thought about giving the bones to Lopi but I was afraid she'd choke on them or get marrow all over the carpet.
And speaking of Lopi, my little blond dog is slowly turning into a large dark dog.  We've noticed she is growing a darker coat of hair giving her a two layer effect.  In that sense, Lopi is an appropriate name for her because she has two layers of fiber like the Icelandic sheep! ;)

Here she is snuggling up to my heating pad.  Every time I get up to go to the bathroom or get another pop or for whatever reason, I come back to my knitting spot and she has stolen my spot.  Every.  Time.  What a brat, but she sure is cute!

No comments: