Saturday, January 07, 2012

I'm a Minnesotan!!!

I am now a resident of Minnesota! We rented a U-haul and Dave and I loaded up and rode off into the sunset. I had lived in my old apartment for 11 years and it was a big job! Dave was such a good sport about it too. He and I moved in together 1 year to the day after meeting. This is a lovely Minnesota tea towel I got after our visit to the Mill City Museum in Minneapolis this summer.


Here is just some of the carnage at my old apartment! I can't tell you how upsetting it was having everything packed up in boxes! It took me a couple weeks to get things packed until I ran out of boxes and I had A LOT of boxes. I had been stockpiling them from when I still worked in the nursing home (note all the boxes from incontinence products-I'm sure our new neighbors were wondering about us!) and Deedee gave me quite a few from Kraft. I used plastic shopping bags and newspapers and lots of my fabric as packing material. After the boxes were gone, we quickly used up all my trash bags. I'd even taken carload after carload of stuff to Goodwill in the preceding weeks. In the end we FILLED a 17 foot truck. I have a lot of stuff.

It took us an entire day to load the truck up and we spent the night at Dave's parents' house and parked the truck in their driveway. We moved into the apartment the next day on December 2nd and the weather cooperated with us. It took another entire day to unload and Dave's nephew came halfway through to help. The snowflakes started to fall just as we were carrying in the last few boxes. Our new apartment has an elevator which is awesome since we live on the third floor and an indoor swimming pool! We also have our own balcony which I really like. I loved putting the sewing room/man cave together. Dave has his video games in there with the other TV and I have my craft books and fabric and some of the yarn in there. I organized all of my books and my knitting shelf is one of my favorite things in the apartment! We are also right across the street from the library which I also love.



I donated my old couch and burnt orange Barcalounger recliner weeks before the move because they weren't worth moving. It also motivated me to keep busy and keep on packing because I had no where to sit! One of the last bits of knitting I did before packing up all the needles was Amy's birthday slippers (I'll post that picture later) and a Christmas stocking for Dave. I kept some cotton yarn and dishcloth knitting in a bag so I had something to knit and keep me sane. Now we are here and unpacked and domestic and happy. I've survived orientation at my new hospital and am working on my own. Life is good. I just need to learn how to drive in the city!

No comments: