Saturday, January 07, 2012

Happy Late Holidays!

I enjoyed my first Christmas with Dave and his family. He and I enjoyed supper at his parents' home and we brought date puddings with caramel sauce. This is such a simple but elegant dessert and very festive. These are not steamed in a pudding mold like a traditional Christmas or figgy pudding, but simply baked in ramekins or a muffin tin.

One of the first things I wanted to do once we got unpacked was to put up the tree and decorations! I didn't get to put up any of my fall/Halloween decorations because they'd been packed. I picked up a few new ornaments in Iceland this summer and got to hang those up. The one on the left is a simple wood burned ornament of a viking ship. I love the striped ribbon because it is the colors of the Icelandic flag. The one on the right is a miniature pair of fish skin slippers with knitted insoles. I had read about these and we saw a few examples in the museum but I wanted to find a pattern for these! These were quite expensive but I loved them and wanted to have them as an example/guide if I ever get around to trying to make a full size pair.


The ornament on the left is a miniature pair of wool carders with a little wool in them! Instead of tines they have Velcro on them! So cute! The one on the right is a little wood burned laufabraud. Leaf bread was one of my favorite things I learned about in Iceland. I thought it would be a neat family activity to make these but the copper rollers/cutters cost about $80 each!These are Grandpa Maynerd's ornaments and I just love them! I set them out in a wooden bowl and I think about him every time I look at them. Happy Belated Christmas and New Year's!

No comments: