Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Hand Towels

I have been procrastinating all week and so therefore have gotten lots of mindless knitting done! These are hand towels from the pattern in Mason-Dixon Knitting Knitting Outside The Lines. I'm a sucker for any pretty colorway in Peaches and Cream or Sugar and Cream cotton worsted yarns. Seems like I pick them up everywhere but in my defense I DO use it up exponentially faster than the rest of my stash. One ball of yarn will knit the colored part of these towels or 2 dishrags. I have a big cone of white and used that to finish the tops. Deedee provided the perfectly coordinating and very much machine washable plastic buttons.


Like I said, I use this stuff up fairly quickly knitting dishrags/potholders. My basic pattern is as follows:

row 1: CO 2 st
row 2: k1, YO, k1
row 3: k 2, YO, k1
row 4: k2, YO, k to end of row
Continue until you have 45 st. Begin decreasing as follows:
row 1: k2, YO, K2tog, k to last 4 st, k2tog, k2
Repeat until you have 7 stitches.
row 1: k2, YO, k2tog twice, k1
row 2: k2, YO, k2tog twice
row 3: k2, k2tog, k1
row 4: k2, k2tog
row 5: k1, k2tog
row 6: k2tog, cut yarn and pull tail through loop
One ball of this yarn will make 2 washrags/potholders.

I make a lot of these and have saved (of course) the scraps of all the dishrags I knit. From this biggest ball of twine I knit this mismatched hand towel for my kitchen.

No comments: