Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Great Storm

Last week we only had a mere dusting of snow on the ground when I took this picture. These are my sister's finished birthday socks (her birthday is in July, btw) knit from Lion Brand Sock-Ease in the colorway "Rock Candy". But then...



...we got hit with a terrible blizzard on Tuesday night and got almost 12 inches of snow with freezing temperatures and terrible winds. I outgrew my apartment YEARS ago but one of the reasons I stay here is because I am so close to the hospital. Scores of employees were stranded here in town and I'm thankful that I can share my apartment with my out of town coworkers. My good friend Laura slept here after work and we rode together back to the hospital for her to work her shift and for me to collect my car as I was off for the evening. We had quite an adventure just getting IN to my apartment because there was 2 feet of snow blown into the driveway and we waded through snow past our knees to get in the front door. Upon returning to the hospital, not only did my car start, but I was able to dig it out of the parking lot and go do my shopping for the week. The stores were not busy at all that night so it was rather a pleasant shopping experience.

While I was out and about, I got a phone call from Brenda who invited me over for some wonderfully comforting chicken and noodles. We watched Julie & Julia next to a roaring fire and played with yarn. You couldn't PLAN a better way to spend a snow day! Thank you again Brenda. After a night like that, I felt like Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby when she said, "I hope we have the coldest winter ever."

No comments: