Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Toni Jacket Revisited

I can always find all sorts of excuses as to why it is necessary to either take a break from a large project or start new ones. For all knitting there is a season, be it Christmas time, approaching birthdays, pregnancies, kids who are smaller than adults and therefore their stuff knits up quicker, or dorky whims/free patterns found all over the internet (knitted vegetables for example). I bought this kit from Ram Wools and began knitting it on the day my niece was born. Now I'll totally embarrass myself by telling you that this infamous day was almost *ahem* SIX YEARS ago. I have urgently felt the need to pick up those occupied needles and resume work on this jacket because it will be bee-YEW-tiful when it is finished and I want to wear it this season. I have done some marathon knitting over the past 2 days and finished the back panel and pocket linings! Later today when I wake up, I will begin the right front panel. This sweater is bordered by 6 rows of red in plain garter stitch which is knit on size 4 needles while the fair isle portion is knit on size 6. I can't find my size 4 circular needles (no doubt they are occupied somewhere by some other partially worked project!!) and I avoid using my LONG straight needles as much as possible. I was digging thru my needle arsenal earlier and to my utter delight, I found these! They are the same size and I will get to use them for the first time! I bought these at a dollar type store in Germany last year on my trip! I bought 4 pairs in different sizes and these were my ONLY knitting souvenirs from that trip. We had traveled on a group tour and were only in shopping/non-tourist areas during funny hours of the day or on weekends so EVERY single fiber/yarn shop I had on my list was closed by the time we got there. I was happy to come away with these needles though and I'm excited to christen them tomorrow!

No comments: