Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Gold Rush Days!


Gold Rush Days were held in Rochester this weekend and we all converged as a family on my sister and her husband's home, including my dear friend Melissa. You never know what you are going to find there, but this year was marred by the RAIN! It rained constantly all day and you just could not be outdoors so it was very crowded to say the least. Melissa and I must be really slow too because we hadn't even gotten through two buildings before the rest of the family was calling on the cell phone ready to go home for the day. Pictured here are some lovely vintage beads cut from old clothes. This same vendor had trims, appliques, laces, etc. which were gorgeous but too expensive for me. These beads are sitting on a charming tea towel that my sister in law picked up for me on a recent trip to Alabama. I just love it and I'm trying to decide if I want to use it as a towel, or sew it into something. Decisions, decisions. The beads will be bead knitted into SOMETHING but I don't yet know what.


These are 2 FABULOUS Pyrex bowls I also picked up! I absolutely LOVE them! The smaller lidded one was $9.50 and the larger one without a lid was $8.50. I also snapped up a very Martha-esque painted wooden handled slotted spoon for $12.50. My mother has a similar spatula at home and I can't believe how STURDY they are even after all these years. These are shown on my newly acquired French dreaming fabric from SupperBuzzy! Now what to do with THAT?!


I also picked up a new collection of fairy tales called "The Tenggren Tell-It-Again Book" illustrated by Gustaf Tenggren. I absolutely love fairy tales and nursery rhymes and the illustrations seemed familiar, particularly Hansel and Gretel. I wonder if we didn't have one of his books growing up. These were my two favorite pictures from the book. Can you guess why?



And finally what I could not afford: these glorious heddles! I should have taken a business card from these dealers because I've seen them every year that I've been to Nordicfest too. They specialize in Scandinavian pieces. You'd think they'd just held up a museum when in fact they actually sell items to museums. I don't know WHERE they find these pieces, but they are simply devine. None of these heddles were under $500. My other favorites of theirs were some woven pieces, bunad jewelery, boat shuttles, and bridal crowns. Absolutely beautiful!

No comments: