Sunday, July 08, 2007

O Pioneers!

Today was the annual pork feed/open house out at the Pioneer Museum here in town. I took along my spinning wheel, my niddy noddy, a few drop spindles, my carders, and some different types of fiber to demonstrate spinning to the public. They were VERY busy which is always nice to see, and there were quite a few kids there too. I visited with a lot of people as they walked through the exhibits and lots of people asked several really good questions. It was nice to talk about the different antique wheels/tools they have there on display because the technology has not changed over the years. I think it was good for the public to see a working wheel vs. an antique/nic nac.

I roped Summer into coming with me to work on her drop spindle and to knit. Melissa was going to come too but she worked last night and needed to catch up on sleep. I told both of them that NEXT year when they are spinning like the wind, THEY will be in charge of running the wheel and I'll just knit on something! Summer and I were sitting in kind of a neat spot across from a Victorian bedroom set-up and opposite this mirror. I thought it would make such a neat photo to take a picture of our reflection but I couldn't get a clear shot sitting where I was. Oh well. I still think it's a neat picture! You can see Summer holding her drop spindle and kind of make out my wheel in front of our knees.



This afternoon I labored to produce this skein of silk yarn. It is a two ply fingering/sport weight I'd guess (I never did see how many yards I got!) and is very shiny and smooth. This is the last of the silk from my mom's Elizabethan stockings I knit for her. I have a sister who keeps threatening to reproduce so I need to have some nice baby fiber on hand for booties and hats, etc.! I have the skein sitting on my brand new acquisition--a yard of FABULOUS babushka fabric! This is one of those fabrics that you almost hate to make anything with because that would involve cutting it up! Perish the thought!

No comments: