Saturday, March 17, 2007

Slainte!

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!
I wanted to make something green and obnoxious to take to work tonight for treats. I was going to make frosted shamrock sugar cookies the day before yesterday but I lacked both the time and strength. I had a moment of inspiration this morning when, hungry and scrounging for a before-slumber-snack, I happened upon a box of lemon pudding mix. I then rummaged through my cupboards and found a lemon cake mix and Voila--Lemon Bread! I baked them in my festive green bread tins I bought at the Liberty store in London (I STILL have the shopping bag!) and I even added green food coloring to the batter as added craic! This is a recipe from the family cookbook my mother compiled in 1995. It's official title is the "Cook's Choice" cookbook, but we lovingly refer to it as the "White Trash" cookbook! It is a simple recipe and really should be considered more of a pound cake than a bread.
1 small box instant lemon pudding mix
1 box lemon cake mix
4 eggs
1/2 c. oil
1 c. water
Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Pour batter into 2 greased bread pans and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until knife comes out clean. Mix together 1/2 c. sugar and 1/4c. lemon juice and drizzle over loaves while still in pan.


I went to a local charity based second hand store the other day in search of piles and stacks of knitting needles (they're never there when you're actually LOOKING for them) for gifts/prizes at the next Knit Night. I didn't find any but I bought a big bag of lovely wooden spools of thread, two funky zippers, and a darning egg for my collection (honestly, what DON'T I collect?!). I could think of no greater backdrop today than my Aran sweater that I purchased at An Tuirne on the Aran Island of Inismore and you can STILL smell the lanolin in the wool! I am working up the courage to knit one for myself soon! If my apartment ever catches fire, I will be wearing this sweater as I run for my life!

No comments: