Wednesday, March 28, 2007

I Heart Cannibals!

We all went to my grandpa's house this weekend to collect the things we wanted for ourselves before the auctioneer got there to appraise everything. I came home with far more things than I can find homes for, but I will always treasure them. One thing in particular was this pile of scraps we found in the trunk in Grandma's closet. She had cut these pieces off of old clothes and I so wish I could ask her where they came from! There is a sizeable piece of needle tatted lace, some crocheted lace on some cotton fabric (I wonder if it was a pillowcase at one time), a lace collar that has hook and eyes still sewn on (what would have been hooked onto it? And WHO has a neck that small?!?) and a beaded yoke or headband. Most of it is machine stitched onto the accompanying fabric which makes me wonder exactly how old it is. And the airy lace at the far right is one big circle. It seems to have been stitched in gores, but I'll bet it was just cut off the hem of a skirt. So now I am just THINKING about what I could do with all this. I spend a lot of time just THINKING how to utilize raw materials. I'd like to incorporate them into something I'll use and will always remember that these pieces belonged to my grandmother, but I want to preserve them as well. These need to be made into "underwear drawer items". You know, something very pretty but kind of fragile that you put jewelery into or fragile things and then you put them in your underwear drawer. That's where the women in our family always keep things like that because I swear the underwear drawer is the safest place in the whole house! That beaded yoke/headband is disintegrating though. They are pearly glass beads stitched onto some stiffened crinolin and the crinolin is cracking in places. I think I will cut the beads off and use them for some Perdita wrist warmers. I'll have to see how many pairs I can get out of the beads, but that would be a nice gift for my sister and mother and sister in law and cousins and aunts, but I'll have to see how many beads are required for each pair. Oh I just LOVE starting new projects! And maybe I'm just sentimental, but I believe in carrying things with you from people in your life or from your past. I will have to get out some pictures, but I wonder if that yoke/headband wasn't from her bridal veil?

No comments: