Sunday, January 31, 2016

It's Christmas in Killarney...

...and all of the girls were here!!!  :)  My two dear friends came up from Iowa this weekend and we yakked our faces and sewed our fingers off.
My family always jokes that if there are two or more laptops on a single table, that is the command center or the control room.  I think the same can be said about sewing machines.  We got a lot done.
Brenda started and finished a flannel chenille blanket and Melissa and I both made this strange looking item.
It is in fact an insulated casserole carrier made with quilted ironing board cover fabric and McCall's pattern #M6338.
It was a really simple project with only two pieces to cut out.  The "petals" of the carrier fold over your dish and velcro closed.
I'd ordered this yard of Swedish kitchen print online years ago and saved it never knowing what to do with it.  I love that it was made into something I'll use and see and much of the fabric and design is intact.
We worked on some small crafting projects with Melissa's daughter Serenity and she was very interested in the sewing.  I think that is awesome that her creative mom is always making things with her.  It is so important for kids to be hands on making and doing things to get their creative minds working.
Brenda cooked us our traditional boiled New England supper for our Christmas meal.  We opened Christmas crackers before we ate and wore our hats throughout the meal.  I think Serenity got a real kick out of the crackers and prizes.  We exchanged gifts after supper and here is Serenity graciously modeling the hat I knit for her.  I love this pattern and have knit several of these this season for gifts.

We never have enough time when we girls get together.  Apart from our trip to IKEA, we didn't leave the house and were busy busy busy.  We're already making plans for a crafting and sewing vacation at Brenda's camp getaway.

No comments: