Thursday, December 18, 2014

 I am finally posting pictures of the new furniture we got this summer.  It has been cold and snowy with overcast skies for the better part of 2 weeks and the lighting wasn't the greatest when I took these photos.
 Here is the hutch it all it's holiday glory.  I had so much fun polishing the wood and cleaning the glass and then unpacking boxes of nic nacs and dishes arranging and rearranging them in there.  My polish pottery and egg cups and cake plates and chafing dish and relish trays and Maynerd's dishes finally have a home.  Grandma Helen's silver in the wooden lined box also lives in there and the drawers are filled with different serving spoons and herring forks and wooden spreaders as well as candles for the table.  I just love it!  I have waited my whole life to own one of these and have somewhere to put it.  On the ledge you can see the perpetual Advent calender my sister gave us and we are enjoying it.  Her family has a yearly tradition of filling their perpetual Advent calender with candy and taking turns opening it.  Ours looks right at home on the hutch.
 Here is the sideboard that came along as a set.  Currently it houses my cookbook collection and a few Polish pieces and normally is topped with all my framed family pictures.  Here it is holding some holiday decorations.  That red tin is filled with candy because we need to eat to maintain our figures around here!  Maynerd's Christmas decorations are in that bowl and the shelf above it belonged to my great grandma Elnora and used to hang in their farmhouse.  My sister found that carousel at a garage sale and is exactly like the one Mother has and we'd put it together every year when we'd set out the decorations.  It is so nice to have a place to put things.
 I finished a sweater for my niece Laina.  I keep forgetting that Christmas is next week because for us, it isn't Christmas until January 9th when we can all get together.  I used this pattern and 3 skeins of some Classic Elite Waterspun yarn that I bet I've had in my stash for at least 10 years.  I've got all the little ones shopped and knitted for and just have 2 pairs of gloves to knit for my older nieces.  I'll finish a quilt for my sister tomorrow and then if I'm really ambitious, I'll knit a stocking for Lopi.

No comments: