Thursday, August 15, 2013

We've had a run on pins around here lately...

 My dear, dear friend Melissa is adopting a baby girl!  The child is actually a relative of hers and although I haven't actually spoken to her recently, it was supposed to be finalized yesterday or the day before.  She and Brenda and I are getting together towards the end of the month to have a belated 1 year birthday party for her.  Well of course that means hand knits so I produced this for her.  I tell ya, I am knitting the crap out of my Reno yarn because this was knit from the two skeins of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted (Midway) I got at Jimmy Beans Wool with the baby in mind.
This pattern is called Presto Chango and was the result of a design contest held by Jimmy Beans Wool.  That connection was total coincidence but how cool is that?  I was simply looking for a 12-24 month sweater pattern that took 450 yards or less.  This thing was so simple to knit too and only 2 seams to finish it.
 I think I spent more time sewing on buttons than I did seaming.  That is my kind of sweater!  I sure hope the baby likes it and gets plenty of use out of it.  The yarn is machine washable too so that makes it more "Mommy-friendly".  I've said it before, if there was anyone put on this earth to be a mother, it is Melissa and I couldn't be happier for her!
I used some shell buttons that I got years ago because I needed 14 and these were the most uniform that I had.  I have slowly used these for different things and I store them in a spice bottle I bought in a grocery store in Paris thousands of years ago while backpacking.  The herbs are long gone but I am a nerd/pack rat and love little containers.
These I am not sure will fit.  I had a terrible time finding booties for 12+ months.  This pattern went up to 9 months and I'd made a pair before and they seemed large.  I thought I'd do one better and knit them with needles 2 sizes larger than called for.  I guess we'll see.  She can always use them as pot scrubbers or fire starters if they don't fit!

No comments: