Monday, October 22, 2012

Various and Sundry


 My cousin Michael's wife Britt is having a baby next month and I won't be able to go to the baby shower.  In the meantime, I've been working on some little baby things to send to her.  I have had this pattern for some time but never attempted it.  We went to that charity garage sale last weekend and I picked up some awesome vintage trims and this one coordinated perfectly with some felt I already had.  Britt has said that for their new baby girl, she wanted peach colored things and not PINK.  I was glad to hear that because I've never cared for the color pink.  This is the smaller size from the pattern.

 Here is the rest of the trim I purchased.  I was kind of disappointed in the sale this year but it IS a different group of organizers than in the past.  I was very pleased with the items I did find.

 I also got an aebleskiver pan at the sale.  These are sometimes called a munk pan or munkejern.  My mother made these when I was a kid and we called them munk and Alitza's mom made these but she called them aebleskivers.  You brush the pan with melted butter and fill each dimple with 1 tablespoon of batter and turn them with a wooden skewer.  You can fill them with apples, applesauce, sliced apples, bacon or sausage, etc.  They are almost like pancake doughnut holes. 

I filled these with apple butter and snacked on them throughout the day.

I'd forgotten about this SD card and found a few pictures of the kransekake construction.  Here are the rings I shaped with the pans and baked on a silpat.

The rings are then stacked and cemented with royal icing.  Royal icing is powdered sugar and water but made stronger with egg white.  I used meringue powder in place of real egg white since little kids and older adults would be eating it.

Incidentally, the bowl pictured is one of my Pyrex rooster pattern bowls.  I didn't take a picture of them, but I got a set of 3 lipped rooster Pyrex bowls in the same color and pattern at the sale!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Katie!!
I wish I had your energy!! All your projects make me wish I would make the time to get this all done!!! Have a great day!!! Jill