Saturday, May 19, 2012

Kitchen Fun

 Once again I was suckered into ordering from King Arthur Flour with free shipping but it is always worth it!  I treated myself to a jar of Nielsen-Massey vanilla paste this time.  This is a batch of kringla dough and you can see the flecks of vanilla seeds.


We had Dave's parents over for supper last week and I made stuffed mushrooms for one of the side dishes.  The recipe is Julia Child's and was so good!  They were nice because they could be combined and stuffed ahead of time and then roasted just before serving.  I was amazed at how simple ingredients become such a complex dish.  These are stuffed with sauteed onions, breadcrumbs, Swiss and Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and a tiny bit of tarragon and I already had all the ingredients in my pantry.

 I am in love with quinoa and found this recipe for small quinoa cakes.  They were a little time consuming but totally worth the effort.  I made up the batch and can heat up a few at a time with meals.  I'd eat kale like this any day!
And while we're on the subject of kitchen things, these are the flour sack towels I embroidered for Dave's niece as a wedding gift.  I hadn't made any of these in a while and had forgotten how fun they are.  They're kind of like coloring books for grown ups!

No comments: