Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Calzones!

I am going through a MAJOR calzone phase ever since I saw this episode on PBS' Ciao Italiano! It was one of those recipes that looked SO GOOD that I just HAD to make it! I used the mushroom filling and made the bread according to the recipe on the site. They were incredibly simple to make and more delicious than I can tell you! Deedee and Melissa and I are getting together for Girl Talk Night and I made 3 different fillings for the dough! One is the mushroom filling featured in this recipe, one is a ricotta/spinach filling I found in a Moosewood Cafe cookbook I found when I worked at Norwegian Camp, and a pork filling from a recipe I saw on the Cia Italia site.

I am still raving about the mushroom filling and it called for Boursin (say boor-san) garlic herb cheese. I was amazed that Wal-Mart carried it! It is almost $4 for a 5.2 oz. piece.

I don't quite know how to describe this cheese. It is grainy and soft and spreadable like chevre but nowhere on the label does it say that it is a goat cheese. It comes packaged in a lovely crimped foil wrapper and is just heavenly with the mushrooms.

This is the final product and I took 2 of them to work last night for lunch. We will assemble several with different fillings tonight while we yik yak about important things!

No comments: