Saturday, January 29, 2011

Mock Macaroons

These are by no means macaroons but I am just loving filled sandwich cookies lately. Instead of whipped egg whites, almond flour and powdered sugar, these cookies are made of chewy brownie and filled with colored cream cheese frosting. I made a test batch of these this week in preparation for our big fundraising bake sale. These were a big hit at work so I think they will sell at the big sale. I was admiring them as I was packing them up and was just reminded of chocolate macaroons and they're a snap to make! Combine 2 boxes of devil's food cake mix, 4 eggs, and 2/3 c. oil. Mix together and it forms quite a stiff dough. I use my small scoop to portion out the dough and bake 18 to a pan at 350 for 7 minutes. Cool completely and then frost with 8 oz. cream cheese and 1 stick of butter mixed with 4 c. powdered sugar. I got about 45 sandwiches from this batch and 1 batch of frosting will frost 2 batches of cookies.

No comments: