Monday, September 13, 2010

Lello

I felt a theme coming on and thought I'd post some yellow things. My brother is currently serving in Iraq and I felt so bad that he was going to miss out on the sweet corn this year. Harrington's sweet corn was well up to the usual standard again so I bought 30 ears. Have I mentioned that Iowa sweet corn is the best on earth?

I blanched it and threw it in an ice water bath before trimming it off the cobs. I'd read that you can make 'niblet-style' or 'cream-style' corn depending on how deeply you cut it off the cob. I have never really cared for angel food cake either, but I wished at the time that I did because an angel food cake pan would have been helpful in the trimming process.

By the time all the corn had been processed, I had 2 large mixing bowls full. I dragged out my still new in the box Foodsaver and sealed up two large bags of fresh Iowa corn. It will wait in my freezer until John is home with us for a meal. I'm looking forward to it myself! Whoever heard of sweet corn in December?

And while we're on the subject of yellow, here are my sister's birthday socks. These were knit in Lion Brand Sock-Ease "Lemon Drop". I will give them to her this weekend.

No comments: