Monday, September 13, 2010

Hangin' With My Gnomies

I just love gnomes! Two of my favorite books at the library growing up were The Pop Up Book of Gnomes and Gnomes. My favorite Christmas ornaments growing up were a pair of gnomes that I now have and who doesn't LOVE the Travelocity Roaming Gnome (Boo-huggery!) and the gnome from Amelie? It stands to reason that I saw this fabric and absolutely HAD to have it. I decided my new nephew would eventually need a bag to take to the library and what better for a little boy than gnomes? This is Amy Butler's Swing Bag pattern.

I have had this pattern bookmarked for some time and wanted to make some little gnome shoes for my nephew. This fabric wasn't nearly busy enough for this project but I didn't care. It DID almost kill me wasting some of that fabric trying to center just one gnome on each shoe. That is the only reason they don't match because I didn't want to waste any more than I had to. I used some padded fake suede for the soles and muslin for the lining. I didn't sew the elastic together at the end --I just tied it in a knot and hid it inside the casing. I also didn't bother with interfacing either. This was a fun little project but almost too fussy for my impatience at the end of the day! I had to change the upper and bottom thread about 18 times, but my seam ripper matched!

No comments: