Thursday, April 02, 2009

Super Crafty Fun Night

No that is not Easter candy, those are bath bombs! Melissa came over last night for crafty fun night and we made over 25 assorted bath bombs for family Easter baskets and to hand out to girlfriends at work. We made about a dozen egg shaped bombs and they're HUGE! I actually weighed one and it was almost 9.5 ounces!


We picked up some carry out food and then watched rental movies at the table while dyeing eggs. Melissa even remarked that we hadn't worked on these since Oscar night last year. Martha had run a project article in last year's Easter issue where they wrapped eggs in lace and dyed them and we'd been meaning to try it out. I tried it out with a piece of lace from my grandma's bridal veil. After I wrapped and rubber banded it, the lace didn't cling or conform very closely to the egg so I kind of "trussed" it on with a needle and thread. It turned out quite pretty on just this one side of the egg, but I didn't like that I had to ruin and throw away the lace, or at least THAT lace. It might be worth trying again with some ordinary lace, but I don't want to waste any more of Grandma's for this project.

I dyed two more eggs with the wax and dye. The bunny one was just kind of an experiment, but I was quite pleased with it and I think I'll try to make a few more like it. I have a bunny loving sister who would like one! ;) I wonder if the dyes lose their potency over time because I'll bet the dyes we used have been mixed for over 2-3 years. Melissa was having trouble getting the pink dye to take, and ahem...the egg on the right was dipped in RED as a final color and it is a pale brown at best. It might be time to get some new dye!

No comments: