Thursday, March 06, 2008

Hat On!

I have been dragging my feet lately when it comes to getting done with DeeDee's dizzying patterned mittens and my Toni Jacket. My living room yarn trunk runneth over and is in my direct line of sight from my chair. I sit there and look at that yarn while I'm knitting and think about what all to do with that glorious fiber.




I used up my designer Colinette skeins of Point 5 and Graffitti to make this "Maltese Fisherman Hat". The pattern comes from Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac. She is a knitting icon but I have to say her patterns are a bit pithy! I had no trouble following this simple one, but in reading through some others that I'm interested in...I just don't know. She is so clever and witty and it is an utter delight to "read how she thinks", but I can see how her patterns could be intimidating. And let's not forget to mention that this yarn is absolutely HIDEOUS! I bought it because it was COLINETTE and on sale for 70% off, and that was really its only redeeming quality! It is a very cleverly shaped/fitted cap and it's delightfully soft and warm, but I think I will only wear it when in a different state/country where no one knows me or in a Nuclear Winter! If I had paid full price for the 2 skeins, this hat would have cost $44!




Not wanting to waste any of that precious Colinette, I took the runt of the Graffiti ball over to Brenda's last night for Knit Night/Early St. Patrick's Day and Melissa started and finished a baby hat for her new baby niece! I think she used US size 10.5 dpn's and cast on a total of 42 stitches. She was so pleased with it that she was going to send it to her sister in the mail! I'm trying to take mental inventory of The Stash for any more nice bulky-ish yarn.




And finally, I just love this yarn and I love this pattern! I surprise myself from time to time because I absolutely HATE the color pink, but I am just enamored of this yarn! I knit another baby bonnet from Last Minute Knitted Gifts with the remainder of that pink purse kit yarn. I had just enough! I was so pleased with that yarn that I ran out to Jo-Ann Fabrics yesterday and nabbed the absolute LAST kit. I will sit on that yarn for a bit but I know I can whip up a little girl's sweater and bonnet with it!

No comments: