Sunday, February 03, 2008

Knit Your Bit!


I know that there are people who will say I am crazy or weird, but I think it is SO important to support our troops. I have always been enamored of the WWII civilian knitting cause. Had I been alive during WWII, I would have been first in line to knit socks, helmet liners and what not for our soldiers. I also try to chat online somewhat regularly to our troops in Iraq, even if it is just to tell them about our weather, the price of gas, or what I bought at the grocery store that day. I have been told by more troops that they enjoy just hearing about normal day to day activities here at home. Needless to say, I finished two pairs of socks to mail to a soldier and his room mate in Iraq. I made them measure their feet and everything. I promised them a pair of socks way back before Christmas and I'm truly sorry it took me this long to finish them but I had to finish my Christmas knitting first! I am still working on my Toni Jacket sweater as well as a few other charted items that require PAYING ATTENTION to the pattern, but socks are totally mindless so I bring them to work and knit on them for 20 minutes here or there during down time. I'm so self conscious about knitting for the troops that when my co-workers ask me who I'm making them for, I always fib and answer, "They're for my brother." Those poor boys are over there doing a job I know I wouldn't want to do. More importantly, they are doing a job I don't think I'd be CAPABLE of doing! God bless each and every one of them! I wrote a little note to go with each pair saying that these had been knit especially for them right here in Iowa with my own two hands. And I am sure there are people who would say, "Whoop-dee-doo, a pair of socks!" but I know they will be used and appreciated. I also thanked them for the chance to actually "Knit My Bit"! Enjoy your socks Allen and Roy!

No comments: