Saturday, September 21, 2019

More Lake Sewing

Whenever we get together, we bring enough materials and ideas to keep us busy until rapture and of course never have enough time.  We coordinate all this over the phone and even though we discuss it, it is still always a bit of a surprise when we see the project idea in person.  We'd messed around with the quilting technique to make those pencil rolls and thought we'd try making a quilted batting filled table runner out of scraps.  I had all these holiday greenery leftovers and a gorgeous cut of evergreen fabric for backing and decided at the last minute to not use batting and use just the two fabric layers.  Here is the end result and I am just loving it!
I loved it so much that I had to make a Halloween one when I got home!  I had these prints that look like vintage woodblock prints.  Again I just used the two layers of fabric with no interfacing or batting.  Very simple and quick project.  I spent way more time cutting the strips (4x13 inches) than I did piecing and seaming it.  Now I am mentally taking fabric inventory for other combinations I could make.  I also have remaining scraps and backing from both projects and I'm thinking about making a shorter version for my dining table.  I'm imagining a runner maybe wider and shorter than this runner but longer than a placemat to place in the center of the table.  Hmmmm.....
Here it is on the downstairs TV stand.  I was so excited to put up my fall decorations last weekend but I held off on my Halloween door decorations and purple/orange lights for the window--what would the neighbors think?!  We don't spend a lot of time downstairs lately because it is easier to confine and contain The Boy in the upstairs living room.  Downstairs is just wide open and he'd be all over the place and into everything.  You'll notice the decorations downstairs are quite spartan.  Upstairs they are placed and hung high up where he can't get to them!
And of course I couldn't resist making a pair of festive pillow cases for our bed!  I love holiday embellishment and this is just the beginning of the seasonal holidays!  Weeeeeeeee!  Dave mentioned that Marek could take one of these out trick or treating in a few years which I think is so weird!  Kids here trick or treat with pillowcases for a sack which I'd never seen before moving up here.

Once again, this is from the tried and true Magic Pillowcase Tutorial.  I absolutely love this pattern and use it and share it all the time. 

No comments: