Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Hjemkomst Center

If you are ever in the Fargo/Moorhead area, you need to make a stop at the Hjemkomst Center.  Hjemkomst literally means "homecoming" in Norwegian.  Where do I begin?  What an extraordinary story.
Basically in the 1980's, a Minnesotan man had the wild idea to re-create a viking ship and sail it to Norway.  AND HE DID.  That's basically it, but do you realize the implications of that idea?  We didn't have GPS or the internet or cell phones back then.  They basically checked in regularly via CB radio.  I'm not quite a millenial but I just clutch my pearls every time I think about it!
This man and a group of friends did just that.  This ship has been on display in Moorhead ever since and I remember visiting it as a kid.  In fact, I was teasing my cousins that the last time we were there, I had a perm and they had crimped hair!  That's how long ago it was.  This ship is housed in the fabulous historical society where they have space for varying exhibits.  And if you're a Norwegian, there is a replica Viking Stave Church on the premises.  We will have to take some pictures in Norwegian sweaters or bunads some day.
My parents are both alumni of Concordia College in Moorhead and KNEW several of the crew which drives it even more home.
Just looking at the living quarters of the ship boggles your  mind.  How did they do it?  One of the quotes of the display even said that at the time, many people considered this an elaborate form of suicide.  Can you imagine making that journey?
They had a running movie of the voyage and impressions 30 years later.  There were viking helmets, shields and swords on display for photo ops and history majors employed just dying to answer questions.  Dave is doing his best Viking impression.  Military ID's are granted free admission.  My brother was with us and the remaining 9 of us walked in for free.
The building is also the Historical Society with a wonderful exhibit space.  Years ago when we were there with our interesting hairstyles, they housed an animatronic (PRE-Jurassic Park) dinosaur exhibit.
This visit, there was a WWI exhibit focusing on the civilian contribution and fundraising efforts including knitting!
I like to think that I'd be organizing and knitting like crazy for the cause.
Knitting used to be such an integral part of domestic life.  Before we had big box stores, you made things yourself.
Wrong war, but I love the pictures you see of Eleanor Roosevelt and Audrey Hepburn knitting for the WWII cause.
Getting back to this Viking Ship business, here are pictures of the Viking Ship Museum in Oslo.
The Hjemkomst ship was a replica of the Gokstad ship housed here.
If you ever visit Oslo, you HAVE TO visit the Viking Ship Museum.
It boggles the mind that these ships were unearthed in 1904.  And they'd been buried prior to that.
We just can't wrap our heads around things that old in this country.
As a textile enthusiast, I was thrilled to appreciate the card weaving artifacts.  I'd visited this museum as a 16 year old before I became a textile nerd.  It is just amazing to me that these items were found warped and works in progress during the excavation.  I was first exposed to card weaving at Skogfjorden Norwegian Camp and it was too advanced a subject to complete.  I was exposed and have been haunted ever since.  And now thanks to the internet, I have gathered materials, books and video knowledge.  Some day soon I hope to share card weaving results.
Here is an early morning photo of my sister, Dad and myself outside the museum.  The open air museum is a jaunt down the road and a requirement if you visit the Viking Ship Museum.  I love this picture of us.  My sister has since worked hard and gone on to lose over 50 pounds!

No comments: