Monday, December 11, 2017

Homemade Granola

I've been eating a lot of granola lately for the health benefits of oatmeal.  I have a glucose tolerance test coming up and I'm trying to watch my weight in general so I don't have a ginormous baby.  I find granola to be tasty and filling and I get the fibery goodness of the oats.  Martin Luther was always talking about his bowels and the gruel and oats he'd eat so I think of him when I make this!
I can't take credit for this recipe.  It came from the weekly American Profile insert Dad included in his local newspaper.  I don't remember the name of the reader who submitted it but I thank her every time I make this.

8 c. rolled oats (Old Fashioned--not instant or quick oats)
1/2c. + 1 Tbsp. honey
1/2c. + 1 Tbsp. oil  (I use walnut oil from Spectrum Organics but any vegetable oil is fine)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. pecan halves
1 c. slivered almonds
1 c. sliced almonds
2 c. dried fruit (I use a bag of dried cherries and a bag of dried berries from Aldi)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Place oats in a large bowl.  Mix together oil, honey and vanilla and pour over oats.  Toss mixture together thoroughly to coat oats.  Pour into a large oiled pan and bake 40 minutes, stopping to stir every 10.  Add nuts after the first 10 minutes.  Add dried fruit after baking but when oats are still warm.  Store in an airtight container up to a month.

You can adjust this recipe however you want as far as nuts and fruit.  I've cleaned out my freezer before using up all kinds of nuts I had in there and I have a big bag of Craisins downstairs I need to get used up.   I use walnut oil because I got a super great deal on it between Cartwheel and coupons and nut oils are supposed to be very good for you.  I like using it this way versus sauteing something in it.  I also use walnut oil in my salad dressings.  Spectrum Organics makes a non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening which I am enjoying baking with.  I questioned how that would even work if it is non-hydrogenated but I am very pleased and impressed with it.

I made a batch of this and vacuum sealed it with my FoodSaver and took it in my suitcase to Norway this trip and to England two years ago.  It traveled well and filled me up for breakfast every morning.  Also, it is DELICIOUS and is a treat.  You can eat it with milk as a cereal, with yogurt as a muesli, or my favorite...
...with kefir!  I like to think the high fiber in the oats and fruit and the probiotics and high protein in the kefir as well as the nuts is sticking to my ribs and is good for me.  Num num!  This smells so good baking in the oven and warms up the house on these cold winter days!  Also, Aldi is now producing their own store brand of kefir which is the best news I've heard in a while.  Hitherto I've always bought Lifeway Kefir at Aldi.

No comments: