Sunday, June 29, 2008

Time me!

This is some fabulous roving I bought at the at Stof2000 in Copenhagen. We found it on our way back from the Arbeids Museet. It had beads, threads, buttons in tubes, zippers, and various specialty fabrics on rolls--I didn't see any cottons or blends on actual bolts. We are so spoiled by JoAnn Fabrics and Hobby Lobbies because everything is right there, but you pay the price with stock that does not rotate much and does not specialize. It is still interesting to look around and to see what people buy and you think about what kind of home sewing this culture does. A lot of the fabric was very pretty, but it was a color combination or a design that was just odd and you just wonder what they would DO with it! I didn't see any quilt shops in Denmark but there are some FABULOUS ones in Holland.


This store had a few stray skeins of acrylic yarn, and next to it a basket of 15g merino wool balls of roving! It was intended for needle felting, but I was pretty sure I would not have another opportunity on this trip to get any fiber so I bought 2 balls of 5 different colors for spinning! I couldn't wait to play with it when I got home! My suitcase was still in the living room and I was spinning this into a heavy worsted thick and thin variegated two ply yarn!
I was VERY pleased with how it turned out! I knit myself a Maltese Fisherman's Helmet like the one I'd made for Deedee, and I had JUST enough yarn! I hadn't spun on the wheel for a while and I and already thinking of de-stashing some fiber! This has to be a record for the quickest I've used up a bit of newly acquired stash!

No comments: