Monday, June 25, 2007

i like yarn


This is a picture of my feet and albino legs as I'm doing the biggest CRUNCH of my life! I finished this pair of socks while we were staying at our guesthouse in Lerwick, Shetland. I wanted to somehow take a picture so you could clearly see I was somewhere foreign. I thought of my feet hanging off some stone walls or on a grand monument or some such thing. Unfortunately I forgot all about it until we had retired to our room for the evening after walking all day. At that point, I was not willing to ambulate further than to the bathroom and back. We did have some lovely chimneys across the street though, and I tried to capture them behind my feet. I'm sure the drivers and pedestrians were wondering what that pair of legs was doing hanging out the window opposite the chiropodists'! These were knit with Trekking yarn on size US 2 dpn's with a cuff of 64 stitches. I have 2 more skeins of this in different colorways and I'm thus far pleased with this yarn. These will make good Christmas socks.



Here I am recovering after my Jamieson & Smith Wool Brokers experience! This was our first target upon arriving in Lerwick. We saw it from the walk with our suitcases from the ferry to our guest house. It was high up on a treacherous bluff with a convoluting and Lord of the Rings-esque stone staircase, but the store sign was clearly and brightly labeled. We dumped our bags, got a map and headed clear back out in search of it. Inside I bought the yarn for the Luckenbooth sweater and a lace shawl! I'm going to have to become quite disciplined in my knitting before I take on either of these projects! I also got some drop spindles including an Ashford, Shetland roving, and an Ashford Niddy Noddy.

No comments: